Everyone on every corner will tell you how to lose weight. ?And there’s just no easy way to lose weight.
But contrary to that, weight loss marketers will tell you about–the pills you can take, the new detox that?s out, or the new diet that promises to cut inches off your waist.
Let?s be real with each other though, most likely you?re going to have to do it the long way. The right way. ?That means making small changes in your life and a commitment to living a healthier life.
Of course it?s slower, but the results are long lasting, and even more important ? you will learn and develop your own techniques to improve your health.
Every day we make decisions, habit-forming decisions. ?These small changes become small habits and I believe that for everything that we achieve in life is because of those small changes and decisions we make.
So in the spirit of small changes I wrote down 15 ways that helped me control my weight. ?This without a doubt will change your life, and even more appealing is the fact that it doesn?t require a massive lifestyle overhaul to see the benefits.
15 Ways To Cut Calories Today
1. Take the Stairs: ?How many times in the course of a day do you take the elevator or escalator? ?I?m sure you do it without thinking, and you know if there?s an elevator there?s a set of stairs. ?Well for my first tip, if time permits in your schedule, if there is a choice between the stairs or the elevator, ?take the stairs. It?s a simple step. Get it!
2. Have a walk in the park: ?This is my favorite thing to do on a Sunday, I want to rest, but I still want to enjoy my day without being cramped up in the house. ?On a Sunday evening, especially a late summer evening, and even the fall when the weather is crisp not too cold, I find a greenway and walk, run, or just walk along with my wife and talk.
3. Walk with a purpose: ?Have you ever seen someone walking and you just said to yourself, ?Wow, I hope they make it to that meeting on time.? ?You know it?s possible they were not late for a meeting, but it?s evident in the walk that they had somewhere important to be. ?That?s what I call walking with a purpose. At this point I?m not telling you that you should walk this way to lose weight, but when you walk with a purpose you do develop confidence and of course, your walking pace will be faster, so obviously you?ll be burning calories.
4. Join a gym: I find peace when I know I worked out for the day, I know that I?ve done something productive, something for my health, and I just feel good. ?I don?t know the science behind it, but working out produces hormones that create a positive feeling.
5. Get a workout partner: ?This is obviously in the same category as join a gym. ?At this point, you’ve got to take it to the next level and be accountable to someone else. ?If you have a partner it does two things. Number 1, working out with someone makes you work harder. And number 2, you?re not going to the gym based on how you feel. ?Someone?s waiting on you. There is accountability built into this system.
6. Schedule your workout on the calendar: ?Let me say this. ?I am about as unorganized as a person can get, but when something is put on my calendar, I?m there and locked in. ?So be consistent. Put it on your calendar, add a few alerts so that you know you got a date with the gym.
7. Get your ZZZ?s: ?Get ya butt in bed at night. Research shows that the amount of sleep you get at night affects your weight. ?Night owls have a tendency to consume more calorie dense carbs and are often hungrier than people who get the right amount of rest.
8. Hold the Mayo & watch that Ketchup: ?Let?s say you get a burger from the burger joint down the street. ?Lettuce, Mayo, Pickles, Onions, Ketchup, Mustard. Do you know how many calories are in that slab of Mayo they?re gonna throw up there? ?No.. Well I don?t know either, I just know it?s useless calories just to give the burger a little moisture. Cut a few calories, just hold the mayo. ?BONUS: For a bonus, if you want to try something new, try a bunless burger. ?It?s really not as bad as it sounds. You could get it in a lettuce wrap or get it on a bed of lettuce or spinach and eat it almost like a salad.
9. Don?t forget that salad dressing: ?When you get a salad it?s with the best intentions. ?You?re trying to eat
10. No Fast Food: ?Do I really need to go into detail on this one. ?Sometimes fast food can be the most convenient, but we all know it?s no good, let?s just try to avoid it.
11. Eating at your favorite restaurant, push away the bread on the table: ?What is the first thing servers bring to the table after the menu and the water? ?The infamous bread or bottomless fries. Leave it alone, it?s nothing but the bad carbs that you should be limiting yourself from eating. ?On top of that, if you decide to have an appetizer or dessert after your meal, at this point you?ve ,had way too many calories.
12. Get a food journal, track your food: My least favorite of all my tips, and only because I?m not the type of person that can stick to it. But from talking to other people that have had major wins in losing weight or muscle gain for that matter, I?ve noticed many of them have a food journal and a workout journal. ?If you?re the type of person that thinks they are eating well and nothing seems to be improving, track your food intake for a week, maybe you?ll see something about your diet that you didn?t realize.
13. No snacks for the house: ?Have you noticed that sometimes you?ll eat just because
14. No Cream, No Sugar, Straight Black: ?There?s a Starbucks or McCafe on every corner now. ?The Frappuccino is right at our fingertips whenever you want it,
15. Don?t drink your calories- cut the sodas and juices:? Don’t forget fruit juices and the obvious sodas.? They have the sneaky calories that your brain don’t register.? How many times have you had a meal and had a sweet
Small But Significant Change
Again, these are small changes, but they are significant.? Success is all in the details.? If you can just add a few of these to your list, I promise you’ll notice a difference.??